How to Raise A Reader























How old was your child the first time you read to them? I think my first time reading to my daughter was somewhere between "The test is positive" and "We can see you are about 8 weeks along." I don't remember the exact date, but I do remember the story. It was Dr. Suess "Oh, The Places You Will Go." I kept reading out loud throughout my pregnancy. It didn't matter what the book was because back then, I just wanted her to hear my voice, no matter how muffled it might be.

After my daughter made her entrance, we continued the habit by reading to her every night before the first attempt to convince her she needed sleep. We still have the bedtime story ritual every night, only now that she is much older, she is the one who reads to us. She loves books. She loves to read. And she loves to make up her own stories and comic books. 

Obviously, you don't need to start as early as I did. I was so excited that I was finally pregnant after so many years of trying, I couldn't wait to start doing everything. 

So, how can you raise your child to have a love for reading? Although it depends on the child, here are some tips that can help.

READ EVERY DAY


A daily reading routine will give all the readers in your family a chance to read with your preschooler. Dads, moms, siblings, caregivers, and friends can all be a part of ensuring your preschooler gets 20 minutes of being read to each day. 

DO THINGS AND THEN TALK ABOUT IT


It’s great to offer new experiences to your preschooler, such as a visit to the zoo or museum, but a trip to the grocery store or a neighborhood park can be just as educational. Talk about what you are seeing and ask your preschooler what he thinks of it. When possible, use interesting words to describe what you’re seeing.


READ EVERYWHERE YOU GO

You can find reading on the road, at the bus stop, in the store, and at the restaurant. Play a game to find words when you are out and about or look at home for words on everyday items like cereal boxes, toothpaste, and household appliances.

BE A READING MODEL

What better way to raise a reader then by reading yourself! Your child wants to imitate you and be like you. Have plenty of reading material for yourself as well as for your child. Tell your child how much you enjoy reading.


KEEP YOUR PULSE ON PROGRESS

Please be sure to see your child’s pediatrician or teacher as soon as possible if you have concerns about your child’s language development, hearing, or sight.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raising a Grateful Child

Is It Possible To Teach Toddlers to be Patient?